A Family of Brands Forums Residential Residential Forum Santa Fe Compact 2, 5 month failure.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  nc_user 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

nc_user
    Participant

Well after less than 5 months it looks like my Santa Fe Compact 2 may have failed. Last weekend I noticed it was running nonstop when it normally only ran for about 5 minutes, once or twice an hour. Air coming out was about the same temperature and humidity as the air going in. Today I took off the back cover and found the compressor wasn’t running, fan was. I checked the defrost switch(located at very top, bare wire loop coming out of it, black wire leading to compressor) and discovered the circuit was open. I bypassed the defrost switch and the compressor came back on and appeared to run normally. After it ran for a few minutes it never started producing water, the front coil stayed at room temperature, and the compressor’s temperature worked it’s way up to 125 degrees. Temperature in the crawlspace at the time was 65-70 degrees and humidity was around 50 – 55 %.

Is the defrost switch I described the actual defrost switch? I thought it was supposed to be clamped to a line. Is it possible both the defrost switch and refrigeration system failed at the same time? I did notice on the front coil what appeared to be very light oil streaks across the coil, then again it could have been the fins slightly mashed down. There is no corrosion on anything and the unit looks mint on the inside. If the only problem was the defrost switch I definitely wouldn’t have a problem replacing this myself since it is just a bolt on part, but now I’m not sure what is going on. Right now I’m just totally frustrated with the whole situation but have heard you guys will make it right. I did turn in my warranty card if it comes to that.

Thanks,

Derek

wptski
    Participant

You have a bare copper wire on your defrost switch? That doesn’t sound right!

On the Santa Fe Advance the defrost switch is attached to copper tubing and two black wires going to the enclosed humidity control box. No bare wires anywhere here.

Ken
    Participant

The current Santa Fe Compact has an imbedded sensor in the cooling coil. I am not sure of the possible replacement in the field. Suggest that you call Justin at 800 533 7533 to discuss problem.

Keep us posted.

Regards Ken

nc_user
    Participant

I was kind of confused about the bare wire thing as well but according to the wiring diagram it is indeed the defrost thermostat. The two black wires connecting to the part are labeled 19 and 20 just as the wiring diagram shows. I’m now curious if the bare loop wire is even connected to the defrost thermostat. It looks like it could possibly just be routed above the defrost thermostat. Ken, not sure what you mean by thermostat being imbedded in the cooling coil. It didn’t appear that the defrost thermostat was connected to anything, just two screws holding it to the bracket and the two wires that plug into it. I know it has to sense the temperature somehow.

It just seems strange that the defrost thermostat and a refrigerant problem would happen suddenly and simultaneously. The compressor does run when the part is bypassed but the front coil doesn’t even begin to cool. The unit is plugged into a GFI and Saturday was the only time I’ve ever had the back cover off. None of the other electrical components have been touched. It worked perfectly for the 4+ months that I owned it until a couple of weeks ago when I noticed it was running non-stop.

I’ve been blessed with a horrible cold but hopefully tomorrow my voice will return enough to get this straightened out. I’ve had about 3 or 4 $200 humidifiers but at least they lasted around a year or more each, the first one went 5+ years without a problem. The $1000 Santa Fe went less than 5 months and has already had a breakdown. If this is supposed to be a 10 year dehumidifier I must be one incredibly unlucky person.

wptski
    Participant

I “think” what your referring to as a bare wire is a small sealed tube with liquid that reacts with temperature. Cant’s tell from your picture but the end should go inside to your evaporator coil where it would keep the coil from freezing.

If the compressor runs which you jump the switch but doesn’t remove moisture, as you stated, you have two problems which is odd. Sounds like you lost your charge. I would have thought that they had the evaporator coil leak problems solved by now.

nc_user
    Participant

Bill, I originally thought maybe that wire could be a small tube used as the humidistat sensor. It appears that both sides of the loop plug into the defrost switch with the two black wires connecting to the back. A parts diagram would have been helpful in this case even though the unit doesn’t have that many parts to start with. According to the diagram the part would have to be the defrost switch it’s just not what the typical defrost switch looks like. I was really hopeful the defrost switch would be the only problem but it certainly looks like it’s going beyond that.

As far as getting anything done I haven’t opened the unit back up but have tried calling the support number multiple times last week during business hours and no one picked up the phone. No one has contacted me back from the online support ticket I submitted Nov. 10 but I did receive the automated confirmation. I sent a fax tonight which will hopefully go through to someone that can help me out. Ken has been the only employee I have been able to make contact with.

jmundth
    Participant

Please contact me directly to discuss any issues that you are having. I’m happy to help.

Justin Mundth – 800.533.7533 Ext: 8474 or 608.237.8474

email: jmundth@thermastor.com

nc_user
    Participant

A tech emailed me offering a replacement unit. Just glad to get this taken care of without too much of a hassle.

Thanks,

Derek

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.