Director of Human Resources
We are looking for a Director of Human Resources to join our team!
Therma-Stor LLC, located in Madison, Wisconsin, was established in 1977 to apply advanced heat transfer technologies to residential and commercial markets. Beginning with heat recovery water heaters, Therma-Stor now also manufactures a line of residential dehumidifiers, which includes the Santa Fe series of free-standing dehumidifiers and the Ultra-Aire series of whole house ventilating dehumidifiers. Therma-Stor also offers Hi-E Dry commercial dehumidifiers and the Phoenix line of restoration equipment for dehumidification, air scrubbing, water extraction, and evaporative drying.
Reporting into our CFO, this position plans, develops, implements, and manages the human resource function with primary emphasis in areas of policy & procedure development, wage & salary administration, performance management, union relations and negotiation, employee relations, benefit programs, recruitment & retention strategies, organizational development, compliance, counseling, orientation, and employee training and development. Ensures all human resource programs comply with State and Federal regulations. Manage employment related risk and advise Senior Leadership of exposure.
- Develop, oversee and implement all HR programs, policies, and procedures and ensure compliance with various federal, state and local laws.
- Remain current on employment related legal updates and ensure organizational compliance.
- Train, supervise, evaluate, and develop Human Resources staff to ensure maximum effectiveness and efficiency in department. This includes: Payroll and HR Specialist
- Meet with insurance agency and evaluate benefit plans on an annual basis. Make recommendations to executive management for any changes to plan designs or offerings. Ensure changes stay within budgeted allowances. Coordinate, conduct, or oversee annual Open Enrollment Process.
- Initiate and process all benefit enrollments, benefit changes and annual renewals and new employee enrollment. Administer and resolve benefit-related issues. Ensure annual reporting (ACA, Non-Discrimination Testing, etc.) is complete, accurate, and timely.
- Manage, implement and oversee recruitment activity including interviewing, selection and hiring. Participate in interviewing and selection process when recruiting salaried exempt employees.
- Create and maintain current job descriptions, employment letters, contracts, and other employment related documentation.
- Provide counsel to managers on all Human Resources areas including: performance related issues, hiring, discipline, terminations, compensation, etc.
- Represent the company as needed in all UC, WC, union, or other company related hearing or regulatory reporting activities.
- Oversee maintenance of necessary documentation for Human Resources files. Ensure record retention guidelines are set up and followed for company.
- Design, implement and monitor compensation system. Maintain relevant market data and make recommendations to modify the compensation structure responding to changing conditions externally and internally.
- Keep executive team informed of government regulations or human resources related problems that could have impact on the company’s bottom line.
- Oversee budget for Human Resources Department and initiate cost saving directives when appropriate.
- Identify and administer ongoing training programs that provide critical development of staff and management.
- Administer and interpret the union contract and educate managers and supervisors on revisions or issues.
- Serve as management’s liaison to the union, to include contract negotiations and other union-related matters. Effectively negotiate procedures or policies representing the organization.
- Direct and coordinate various activities designed to promote and maintain employee morale.
- Administer all aspects of COBRA, FMLA, and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act programs.
- Manage all worker’s compensation insurance and worker’s compensation claims.
- Develop and monitor various metrics and analytics used to evaluate effectiveness of various HR programs and activities.
- This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and can be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management deems necessary.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Analytical — Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
Problem Solving — Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Technical Skills — Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Written Communication — Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Leadership — Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Inspires respect and trust; Accepts feedback from others; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates; Gives appropriate recognition to others; Displays passion and optimism; Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision.
Business Acumen — Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
Diversity — Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
Ethics — Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Strategic Thinking — Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Adaptability — Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in HR or related field, plus ten years progressive generalist experience in Human Resources, OR Master’s Degree plus equivalent experience. Demonstrated experience required developing and implementing Human Resources procedures and policies. Must be able to work with little direction.
Interpersonal Skills: Confidentiality and accuracy is critical. Strong human relations, organization, negotiation and problem-solving skills required.
Language Skills: Strong written and oral communication skills required. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret business periodicals, professional journals, reports and government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and personnel policies and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from all levels of the organization. Must be comfortable speaking to large employee groups and leading difficult conversations. Fluency in English is required; bilingual in English and Spanish, preferred.
Mathematic Skills: Intermediate math skills are necessary including the ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations as well as abstract problem solving ability.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite including: Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Previous HRIS experience (UltiPro preferred) is also required.
The environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. The majority of work will be performed in an office environment with some exposure to the manufacturing facility. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be exposed to normal office conditions.
The noise level in the office is usually conversational, with minimum equipment noise. The noise level in the factory will be higher due to the equipment noise. Safety glasses are required on the production floor.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, and use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; but may have extended periods of time at a computer. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, usually waist high. Specific vision abilities required by this job included close and distance vision.
PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP preferred
Supervises staff of Payroll and HR Specialist.
We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth and success.
For consideration please send cover letter, resume including salary history to: firstname.lastname@example.org